Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A new approach

Yesterday I tried a new approach to painting using the lasso tool. The effect has its pros and cons. It allows me to be much more daring in composition and making huge changes without a second thought. It speeds the process up so much since I don't have to worry about edges and layers. Overall it just allows room for a lot more creativity. The problem is the final effect looks exactly how I'd expect it too, like a painting done in illustrator. Extremely hard edges regardless of how far back in the canvas an element is placed.

Today I used the same process for 90% of my painting and for the last 10 % i created a new layer and went in with a small texture brush to soften up edges where I felt necessary. I'm quite happy with the end result.

 By the way, here's a painting from 93 days ago. Both were done from imagination. Today's was done in about 40 minutes and the bottom one was done in several hours. I remember being so frustrated while painting it. I've learned so much more than I thought I would in just 93 paintings. But enough with the self back patting. Cant wait to experiment more with this process!



No comments:

Post a Comment